Friday 20 March 2015

My Theme and Images

My Theme and Images


THEME:
I've decided to go with the theme of desertion/neglect because I think it's a very effective kind of photography that can, if taken well, produce some incredible images that tell stories and make people feel certain emotions.



The above photo is one I took, originally in colour but decided to use Photoshop CS6 to convert it into black and white as I think it looks more effective and sharper. It is a photo of an abandoned building in my town that I thought would fit into my theme very well as it has been abandoned for years and has the old, neglected look I was looking for.

My second image is of the same building, though a close up and in colour. I changed the exposure to a brighter one so some details could be seen easier and I increased the sharpness in order to highlight certain details such as the grass and edges of the door. 




My third image is of a neglected old house that hasn't been lived in for a while. The previous owners didn't take care of it and left it in a mess, which I thought would be effective for my theme of neglect and desertion. Below is the photo I chose of the spiral staircase which I liked because of the unusual angles and natural lighting provided by the window in the top right corner, below the firs flight of stairs. I increased the brightness and cropped the image so the main focus would be of the stairs and shapes the image creates. 



My fourth image is of old, abandoned mills which haven't been used for multiple years. With the broken and boarded windows, graffiti and antique look, I thought they were perfect for my theme. I originally though to change the image to a black and white photograph, but then decided to decrease the opacity of the effect so it's not completely colourless. I thought the angle of the buildings and the road leading off between the building created the effect of dimension and an almost 'mysterious' look to the image.



My fifth and final image is of a different, smaller mill that hasn't been used for ages, and I thought the chipped pain on the green door especially portrayed the look of neglect as well as the broken furniture to the left. The drab colours an slightly out of focus image created an older look I was trying to achieve and the stained tiles of the room on the right also contribute to my theme.





I personally believe my favourite photo out of my five final ones is definitely the first image as the black and white added more effect and an older look to the image, which contributed well to my theme of neglect and desertion. I like the angle of which I chose to take the image as it shows not only the closest part of the building but the length of it and how all of the building is falling apart and is a neglected building.

No comments:

Post a Comment